Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hymn

I thought about this while I was drunk at Stay Sweet Fest all weekend.

Music scenes are much like churches, especially punk. There is a leader (singer/preacher) that the audience responds to when prompted, the audience is supposed to be unquestioningly devoted to said leader, there's lots of erratic movements and blindly shouting along with the leader. And at the end of it all, an unexplainable sense of euphoria.

I think I've always felt this way. I often tell people this is why I listen to Girl Talk; whenever I hear a particularly clever section of a song, or the beat hits just right, I imagine it's what Church and talking to God is supposed to be like. Unexplainable euphoria and a feeling of invincibility.

1 comment:

  1. i agree completely. but music is better. it's not trying to make you believe in something that might or might not be there. all it's doing is accepting you fully into whatever kind of music makes you this passionate. i <3 music.

    ReplyDelete