Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nature

So, the following is my proposal for my darkroom final:

For this final project, I thought about all the possible things I could photograph. I thought about shooting tableaux photography, especially since I really wanted to revisit the fabrication project. However, I found myself fantasizing about roaming around outside and photographing what I saw; getting lost in this new greenery and translating it into black and white. So, this is what I’m going to try and do. Find the natural places of Richmond and focus on photographing nature.

With this assignment, I want to focus more on aesthetic than concept. I felt I tried too hard with concept in the time and narrative project, and it didn’t translate very well. While I would definitely like to try to return to more conceptual work in the future to better perfect conveying a theme in imagery, I think that I need to take a step back and better perfect my sense of aesthetic style and see what comes from that.

I want to explore nature. Nature has not always been my friend; I have a very strange, very strong phobia of butterflies (I know), and because of this usually springtime is not my friend. However, having gone through the rough horrors of seasonal depression, I find that the only thing that makes me feel sane is spending the majority of my free time in the warm sun, fears be damned. With this new psychological compulsion to immerse myself in nature, I’m appreciating nature in springtime as I never really have before, and in a city whose natural side I am not yet familiar with. I want to photograph this exploration and explore the foliage I come across in my wanderings.

My main basis of this work is my previous work with abstraction: I found myself more drawn to the images I took of abstractions and patterns I found in nature rather than the images I found indoors, or the patterns I created myself. Working off this work, I want to keep examining nature in that same vein. I’d like this work to lean more towards abstraction and less towards recognizable landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment